Think like a softball college coach™
Think like a softball college coach™ is a series of tips and articles created by eScout4u to help you understand the softball recruiting process from the other side of the table. So put yourself in a college softball coach's position (its "I" not "you"), read this like your a coach and wrote it, so let's live in a coach's world for a bit.
- My job depends on me winning, after all, that is what I get paid for. I have to constantly evaluate my softball team's performance and make adjustments accordingly. I would be foolish for me to tell anyone what my wants and need are. If that got out other coaches from competing softball teams could benefit. After all, I study my competition all the time like preparing for battle. Maybe slightly over stated but you would do the same thing to win.
- Where would I look for softball talent? I only have so much time and money to recruit the best softball athletes.
- Web sites, depends, if every coach can see the same athletes (websites) I see then what is the chance that I would get the softball athlete I want so what is the point. Plus this will take a lot of time to find phone numbers and other contact information. Most make me login and that's a pain keeping track of passwords. A long drawn out process.
- Camps and combines, not bad and it brings revenue for my school and really helps softball athlete's skill sets. It also serves to train my new associate coaches. But, it gives me such a small slice of available softball talent because they are all local and my team is made from talent all over. Plus they still have to evaluate / rate/ score my main softball recruit prospects.
- Athletes that approach me.
- Athletes that send me highlight videos. These must really want to attend our college since they took the time to reach me. This is easy on me, no login passwords or competing schools.
- These softball athletes always get a review. The move to the top of my review list but I still have to evaluate / rate/ score them and see if they make it to my position planning board.
- Athletes from recruiting services
- Lists sent by recruiting services. I wonder how many other softball coaches get the same list since they are trying to sell me these athletes? Again I have to login to retrieve contact information and the password pain.
- These recruiting service guys call me a refer athletes thinking they know what I want. They are only guessing and I may or may not give the softball athlete a look.
- I don't tell these recruiting guys my softball scoring / rating method or my position planning board because this is my job security, the tools I win with. To protect something, you don't tell anyone. Don't think for a minute I want other softball colleges talking to my main prospects.
- Video highlights are great. Now I can see more softball athletes since I don't have to travel as much. Gives me more time to consider and contact prospective softball recruits.
- Evaluate / Scoring / rating softball recruit athletes is very important to me because I have to have my way to gages who will or won't work for me.
- Position planning board is my confidential go to map of the next 4 years. Those softball athletes that scored / rated good go here for future consideration. If this was leaked other softball colleges would scurry to see what I saw in a particular softball athlete and that is not good for me. Some will go on, move up or down or completely off depending on who I find when and where.
- Filling my softball roster
- Just because I talk to you doesn't mean you will get a softball scholarship.
- I evaluate / rate/ score softball athletes and if good enough and I need a spot filled I put them on my position planning board.
- I will use my redshirts before I will fill a position with a graduating senior. I have worked a year with that redshirt and they know what we do and how we do it. The exception a rare outstanding softball athlete.
- This is difficult at times because softball athletes on my position planning board my sign with another college or be a no show.
- Letter of intent on signing days is a big day for me. Just like the NFL draft I get to look at my new softball team for the first time.
- The schools I compete against sometimes want the same softball athletes I want. Again I may not get them on signing day so I revert to next athlete in line on my position planning board.
- Position already filled. I usually can't tell a softball parent or athlete since I guard my evaluation / rating / score methods and my position planning board. I refrain from lying to them but they can think what ever they want. Most are within a 2 hour drive and if they are really good and I am quiet about it they may not approach my competitors. I am protecting my job by winning. We see a lot of hopeful softball athletes that want to be recruited for a softball scholarship.
- Walk on softball athletes are always good. These athletes want to be on my team. They are not my first choice but they want a chance to prove themselves. They will get a chance to practice with the team but they have to earn a spot like everyone else.
- Deciding factors, one or the other. To those who think they know what goes on inside my head forget it. Things change for whatever reason from time to time, I have to cope and make softball decisions accordingly. I won't take the time to keep outsiders abreast of my current softball status and I wouldn't tell them anyway.
- My word of advise to all athletes who desire a athletic softball scholarship. Contact me personally with your information. I won't have the time to meet with every softball athlete but you can email me. Don't expect a reply from me because of the rules I have to follow and will only contact you when necessary so we don't waste each others time. After all, it will be you and I who will makes the final decision.
Think like other parents and athletes! What would you do?
From the view of others. Things to consider.
OK we are not a college softball coach anymore so lets look at reality from what we just read.
Athletes and parents, rightfully so, are excited when a college softball coach talks to them or they get an invitation to an softball event. Important!!! It is just a look, nothing more at this time.
Don't put your eggs in one basket. Seek out other softball coaches, the greater the number the greater the chances. So now you have to figure out the most cost effective way that produces results to get in front of college coaches.
Beware of those who tell you they have an "in" or "connection" with softball coaches or something similar to that. It's just a sales pitch. There are over 36,000 coaches, staff and recruiters and there is no way anyone could possibly know or would know (coaches protecting their needs).
What you need is to get noticed by college softball coaches to begin to have a chance since you will never get a softball scholarship from someone who doesn't know you exist. Log in and eScout4u will tell you how many softball coaches we can get you in front of and how we roll.
Again, print, share and discuss between parents and athlete! Use the information to plan your recruiting strategy.
If you disagree or have other facts then email us. Thanks
Action needed on your part
Just as your success came by learning every aspect of your sport, it is equally important you learn about the recruiting process to be successful! read more...
Back to articles.
More scholarship recruiting info:
- For NCAA, NAIA or NJCAA eligibility requirements and registration links click here.
- eScout4u has helped thousands of athletes.
- We have a 93% success rate. Click here, to see how others got their scholarships.
- Since 1979. Our innovative technology is poured into getting you noticed by college coaches.
- Create your free account and get started today!
- Avoid mistakes, learn what not to do in this College Scholarship Recruiting Guide, click here.
- Click here to open a athletic scholarship and recruiting guide (applies to all sports even though it is talks football) where we cover in depth; recruiting services, distribution, timing, numbers game, follow-up, the interview with a college football coach, summary and close.
eScout4u is an Evolution program Copyright © 2008 -2017 Evolution Inc. All Rights Reserved